Requirements and Procedures
Minimum Admission Requirements
- B.S. and/or M.S. degree in engineering, physical sciences, or mathematics from an accredited college or university
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent)
- GRE General Test (No required minimum score). Use institution code 4836 to report scores to UCSD.
International applicants: Demonstrate English language proficiency via one of four options:
Option 1: TOEFL with a minimum score of 550 (paper based test-PBT) or 80 (internet based test-iBT). Use institution code 4836 to report scores to UCSD.
Option 2: IELTS with a minimum Band Score of 7
Option 3: Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic with a minimum overall score of 65
Option 4: Full-time enrollment for a minimum of 1 year in a university-level institution where English is the language of instruction and in a country in which English is a dominant language. (Examples of countries with English as a dominant language: U.S.A., England, Australia, Guam, Jamaica, Ireland, and parts of Canada.)
A completed admissions application includes the items below. All items must be received by the application deadline.
- UCSD Online Admssions Application
- Non-refundable application fee
- Statement of Purpose (PDF format no larger than 2MB)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (online only)
- Scanned unofficial copies of transcripts from all higher education institutions attended
- Official GRE General Test scores, submitted to UCSD via ETS
- Demonstration of English proficiency (International applicants only; see "Requirements" section above)
- Resume/CV (recommended)
Do not mail hard copy admission materials. All documents must be uploaded and submitted via the online application system.
Application Status and Results
Applicants may check the status of their application via UCSD's online application system.
A completed online application will have the status "Submitted". The ECE Faculty Admissions Committee commences their review of applications in December, following the application deadline.
- The first round of offers for the Ph.D. program are typically sent in January/February
- The second round of offers for the Ph.D. program are typically sent in March
- The single round of offers for the M.S. program are typically sent in March
- The ECE Faculty Admissions Committee endeavors to make all admissions decision by April 14
Please do not contact the ECE Graduate Affairs Office to obtain the status of your application. Each applicant will receive an email notification of the Faculty Admission Committee's admission decision.
Should you have additional questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.