Fall 2020* Application Deadlines
The online application will be available this fall; the deadline is not yet set but will likely be sometime in December.
Application opens: Early September (exact date TBA)
- PhD: Early December (exact date TBA)
- MS: Early December (exact date TBA)
ALL application materials must be received by the application deadline. The ECE Department commences its review of applications immediately, following the application deadline.
* The ECE Department only accepts graduate admissions applications for Fall quarter. We do not accept applications for Winter or Spring quarter admission.
B.S. and/or M.S. degree in engineering, physical sciences, or mathematics from an accredited college or university
Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent)
- GRE General Test (No required minimum score). Use institution code 4836 to report scores to UCSD.
- International applicants: Demonstrate English language proficiency via one of four options:
Option 1: TOEFL with a minimum score of 550 (paper based test-PBT) or 85 (internet based test-iBT). Use institution code 4836 to report scores to UCSD.
Option 2: IELTS with a minimum Band Score of 7
Option 3: Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic with a minimum overall score of 65
Option 4: Full-time enrollment for a minimum of 1 year in a university-level institution where English is the language of instruction and in a country in which English is a dominant language. (For example: U.S.A., England, Australia, Guam, Jamaica, Ireland, parts of Canada.)
A completed admissions application includes the items below. All items must be received by the application deadline.
Do not mail hard copy materials. All documents must be uploaded and submitted via the online application system.
- Non-refundable application fee
- Statement of Purpose (PDF format no larger than 2 MB; uploaded to online application)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Uploaded to online application)
- Scanned unofficial copies of transcripts from all higher education institutions attended (Uploaded to online application)
- Official GRE General Test scores (submitted to UCSD via ETS; see "Admission Requirements" section above)
- Demonstration of English proficiency (International applicants only; see "Admission Requirements" section above)
- Resume/CV (recommended; uploaded to online application)
Application Status and Results
Applicants may check the status of their application via their UCSD's online application.
A completed online application will have the status "Under Review". The ECE Faculty Admissions Committee commences their review of applications in December, following the application deadline.
Please do not contact the ECE Graduate Affairs Office to obtain the status of your application. Each applicant will receive notification when an admission decision has been made.
- The first round of offers for the Ph.D. program are typically sent in January/February
- The second round of offers for the Ph.D. program are typically sent in March*
- Offers for the M.S. program are typically sent by March*
- The ECE Faculty Admissions Committee endeavors to make all admissions decisions by April 14*
*Due to the high volume of applications being processed, please expect a delay in receiving a result. We truly appreciate your patience.
Should you have additional questions, please contact us at email@example.com.