OVERVIEW: The Department of Psychiatry and its Mental Health Tech Center formed an initiative in Fall 2017 to increase research collaborations between psychiatry and engineering. Psychiatry Faculty have created projects that attempt to problem solve an unmet challenge in the clinic or in research. The goal is to address the topic through an engineering solution. Students who are interested in this program can review the list of available projects and their descriptions below. The Engineering Psychiatry Research Program (EPRP) Fellowship is an unpaid research opportunity for ECE undergraduate and graduate students. Students selected by faculty members will have the opportunity to observe and participate 10hr/week in Spring 2022 and 40hr/week in Summer 2022 in the activities of a research group under the supervision of the PI or a member of his/her lab group. Internships will be awarded based on the candidate's overall academic achievement and research interest. Research interns will have the option to enroll in 2-4 units of ECE 199/299 in Spring 2022.
BACKGROUND: UCSD's Jacobs School of Engineering has world-renowned faculty and resources in engineering, with several thousand students participating in several different courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels. As part of their coursework, these students could lend their talents to creating solutions to problems psychiatry faculty and trainees face in clinical care and in research. Potential solutions might involve novel devices, diagnostic tools, software, and new ways of analyzing data such as through machine learning, robotics, and many others. It is our hope that, by linking students with identified problems and potential mentors in psychiatry, this effort will generate novel collaborations that could form the basis of new research projects, grant proposals, intellectual property, and/or start-up companies.
The timeline for the program is as follows:
· December 3, 2021: Program announcement. Projects solicited from faculty.
· December 17, 2021: Project proposals DUE from faculty.
· December 20, 2021: Projects posted on the website. Intern application opens.
· January 7, 2022: Intern application DUE at 11:59 PM.
· January 11, 2022: Intern application/information sent to faculty.
· Mid January: Faculty interviews applicants.
· January 31, 2022: Deadline for faculty select students.
· Early February 2022: All applicants are notified of their application status by the faculty members.
· Spring 2022: Students work 10hr/week in the faculty lab and enroll in 4 units of ECE 199/299 research credit courses and start working on projects.
· Summer 2022: Students work full time in the faculty lab.
The Spring/Summer 2022 application is now OPEN. Applications are due by 11:59 PM on Friday, January 7th, 2022.
If you have any questions, please see the EPRP FAQ page or contact SRIP Coordinator, Jade Moneda at email@example.com.
|FACULTY MENTOR||PROJECT TITLE|