Special Studies Courses 197, 198, 199

What are Special Studies Courses?

Special Studies Courses 197, 198, and 199 are intended to enable students to learn about subjects not taught in regular courses and to engage in research in the laboratory, in the field, or in the library. Such a project should be carefully planned with faculty advisor along the lines of the student's overall academic plan.

What are the requirements to be eligible?

Students must have completed at least 90 units with at least a 2.5 GPA.

What are the differences between 197, 198, and 199?

ECE 197 is for unpaid internships done off-campus. CPT students can take ECE 197 but cannot use the course to satisfy electives.

ECE 198 is independent study or research for a group of students.

ECE 199 is for research for an individual student.

How do I enroll in a Special Studies course?

- Follow the instructions on how to request enrollment in special studies courses here.

- Use the Enrollment Authorization System (EASy) to enroll in ECE 199.

  To submit an ECE 199 EASy request, follow the instructions below:

  In the "Course Details' box in EASy:
  Select the appropriate quarter under the “Quarter” dropdown menu
  Select "Special Studies" under the “Request Type” dropdown menu
  Select “Last Name, First (Name of your Instructor)” under the “Instructor” option

- Click here for detailed instructions on how to submit a Special Studies request through EASy.
What is the deadline to enroll in the Special Studies Courses?

The official university deadline to add classes (including Special Studies courses) is the end of the second week of the quarter.

What if I can't find a faculty to sponsor?

In order to enroll in the Special Studies Courses, you will need an ECE faculty to be your advisor.

Can these courses count towards my major requirements?

Yes, at most 4 units of 197-199 may be used for elective credit. 197 will ONLY count towards the Professional Electives and must be an unpaid internship. 

I have an internship/research position, but can I do the internship/research position first and then take the class later or vice versa?

No. You must be enrolled in the special studies course during the time you are doing your internship/research. You cannot do it retroactively.

I need to enroll in ECE 197 as part of CPT. What do I need to do?
If you are an international undergraduate ECE student and don't have a faculty sponsor, follow the steps below.

International students can have paid or unpaid internships to enroll in ECE 197 as part of CPT.

Do not submit an EASy request to enroll in ECE 197 prior to submitting your forms as this may delay the process.

❶ EMAIL the following items to the ECE Undergraduate Advising Office at ece-ugadvising@ucsd.edu:

A) offer letter which includes:

· number of weekly internship hours

· start and end date of internship

· outline of internship responsibilities

 B) Signed CPT Contract

❷ CONTACT the ECE Undergraduate Student Advisors through the VAC (vac.ucsd.edu) to confirm that the items above have been submitted. You will then receive instructions on how to submit an EASy request to enroll in ECE 197.

❸ EMAIL a 1 page report documenting duties performed or knowledge gained from the internship to the ECE Undergraduate Advising Office by Tuesday of finals week. Email report to ece-ugadvising@ucsd.edu with the subject "ECE 197 (Quarter) - Last Name". Failure to submit a report will result in a NP grade. 

Document Processing Time:

The CPT Contract and offer letter must be submitted by 4 pm on Tuesday to be reviewed by our faculty on Wednesday during weeks 1 or 2 of the quarter.

 Please note, students:

· can enroll in 4 units per quarter

· will receive a P/NP grade

· can not receive any credit towards major requirements - there are no exceptions

Click here for more information about Special Studies course enrollment.